Permit Process (3 of ??)

>> Monday, February 14, 2011

Ugh.

So that meeting on Friday didn't exactly go as I hoped.  If you recall from the last blog entry, I needed to talk to an inspector about the head clearance in my stairwell.  Before the inspector came, I started to worry that I should have a half dozen donuts and some coffee from Dunkin' Donuts on the counter.  So I brewed a pot.  I guess it wasn't enough.

It wasn't a good sign when he stared at the ceiling above the base of the steps for about 5-10 minutes and said things like "hmm..." and "oh!" and "I'm not too sure about this".

Ugh.

When it became clear that it wasn't going the way that I hoped, I decided to pull out some last ditch ideas...ideas like, "What if I put some warning tape or lights above the stairs?"

I don't think he responded to my question.

In fact, in addition to telling me that I would need to make some structural adjustments to pass code, he also told me that he wasn't comfortable with the way the support beams were currently configured.  Let's not dwell on that conversation...

So in light of  the circumstances, I think I am left with 3 options:

  1. Call the structural engineers that he recommended and rearrange the steel beams that are holding up our house.  Do this so people can have an extra 6-8 inches as they walk down the steps.  Since it costs $350 just to have a "consultation", this option isn't very appealing.  
  2. Forget the permit process.  (is there anything else to say about this one?)
  3. The "Hybrid Approach".  Continue with the permit process, submit drawings and have way-point inspections, but don't apply for a Use and Occupancy permit at the end of it all.  Why would I do this option?  For one, I would appreciate the reviews along the way.  Second, when we sell our house, I want to tell the Realtor that everything is "up to code", except for the fact that the codes department likes tall people on my stairwell.  I'm guessing that prospective buyers would feel more comfortable if they knew that.  
I think I need to talk to a Realtor...

1 comments:

Ham that am Ham February 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Like it done in stages,some spring some fall work thinking in-between no rush father used to say

Post a Comment